Sunday, September 7, 2008

VMA recap

I can't believe I'm even doing a recap. But I have to admit, it was a LOT better than last year's show. Well here are my notes from tonight's festivities.

1. That was not an "opening" to top last year's performance Brit-Brit.

2. Rihanna sounded awful. It's easy to tell how bad she sounds because she struggles from her "regular" singing voice to falsetto. Very rough indeed.

3. The VMAs set looks like a larger set of TRL.

4. I laughed at Russell Brand because I don't think anyone else laughed at him. I thought he was pretty fun, energetic and exciting... But maybe not for this crowd. I love his jokes about the Republican party unfortunately.

5. The youngest Jonas brother doesn't open his mouth when he sings. Instead, he looks like he's grinding his lips and teeth to make noises, I mean, to sing. When I first heard them, I thought it was Nick or Aaron Carter making a comeback. I do have to say, their VMA performance was cute.

6. WTF is up with Michael Phelps' headgear?

7. I can't believe Leona Lewis, who I lovvvvve, would stoop so low as to do a single with Lil' Wayne. WTF was up with Lil' Wayne's pants during the performance. That was just inappropriate.

8. I'm bummed that MTV is taking advantage of the Twilight series and that the Twilight series sold it's soul to MTV.

9. While she doesn't sound that great, I love that girl from Paramore. She's such a cute, petite, little thing!

10. I love Christina Aguilera (always have) but she was TOTALLY lip singing (lip-syncing?) tonight. Ugh, that was disappointing to see.

11. Who's Tokio Hotel? And is the lead singer actually a girl?

12. I think Kid Rock wears sunglasses because he doesn't want people to see and realize how old he actually is.

13. Who is Brit-Brit's stand-in boy toy? I'm so behind on celebrity news!

14. I'm incredibly bummed that my DVR canceled my recording of "Skins" because of the VMAs and a show I've yet to watch, "Mad Men." Now recording the 2 a.m. re-run of "Skins" and hoping to watch tomorrow. Last week's episode took me completely off-guard because it was about topics I'd never thought would be discussed. So crazy, but enjoyable. I heart Chris.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good recap. Kind of makes me want catch one of the 121 times its on again. I'm curious to see how xtina looked.

Boots McPeterson

Jennifer Welborn said...

What is "skins"?

nvang said...

it's a tv show on bbc america. it's like gossip girl, but with more... hm... somewhat i guess relatable storylines. i mean, it's pretty blunt about discussing issues that young adults face. i swear every time i watch it, there is something that happens that makes me gasp or shocks me. gossip girl is glamorous and can easily get over the top. the kids in skins are in college and face things like eating disorders, drugs, the partying vs. school work, and of course relationships. might be worth giving it a shot if you're looking for something new to watch.

Jennifer Welborn said...

Ahhh. Thanks :0) I'll watch it sometime.