Saturday, July 19, 2008

Old and New Things

Last night, the boy and I discussed one of the most used high school yearbook acronyms - KIT (keep in touch). As you and friends exchange yearbooks, you leave notes including what you'll be doing in the summer, phone numbers, addresses and in my time, e-mails :). We were looking at his own yearbooks recently and he joked that he should try calling some of the numbers that had been encrypted in his book of memories. After all, friends and acquaintances had invited him to KIT. But he said that he just didn't feel like he should keep in touch with others if they weren't willing to do the same. I whole heartily disagree, but maybe that is why I'm in public relations. I've always known I wanted to be in public relations because I like being able to network with others, I like being social and I like the opportunities public relations can open. Most of all, I like what PR can accomplish through understanding these separate entities. I don't think that I treat my friends like I do business professionals, but the way I am with my friends helps me in tackling the business world.

I like to think I have friends in almost every chapter of my life - high school, college, and definitely at all of the jobs I've held.
Maybe these people are just acquaintances, but I like to think of them as friends. These aren't people that I just knew, but people I continue to keep in touch with, whether it's every day, every week, every month or even years in between. It amazes me how much people transition in the time that I have know them and I'd like to continue to follow the steps they make because life is all about the experiences people endure.

Since I am talking about old friendships, there is one thing I will definitely reprise for my blog. A friend of mine used to always post lists on his blog - lists of thoughts, rants and every now and then, to dos. They were so fun to read, but short snippets so I didn't feel like he was dragging me on and on about what he was thinking and doing. And I like to start posting lists on my blog as well. So in his honor :), here is my first list!

1. Sebastian is the funniest, but sweetest dog in the whole wide world.
2. Can't wait for the wedding this evening
3. I finally saw Dark Knight - it was a LOT better than I thought it would be.
4. I anticipate going to see "Mamma Mia." Ugh, will someone go with me?
5. I miss Justin Vick, to whom this list is dedicated.

No comments: