Monday, August 29, 2011

A few thoughts as the end of summer nears

The boy and I.
Have had a rough summer.

  • I didn't have a job going into it.
  • I had to move – twice!
  • My gallbladder was removed while I didn’t have health insurance. $$$$$ Recovery period = 30 days (July through early August)
  • My aunt, who helped raise me, passed away.
  • The boy had surgery to fix two hernias. Recovery period = 30 days (August through mid-September)
  • I had to wake up to the boy throwing up because he got really sick one weekend. This is the first time he had thrown up in 10 years!
  • We worried about paying the bills.
  • We’ve had to learn to deal with each other’s pet peeves and bad habits.
  • We’ve fought – and fought.
  • We have continued to deal with the boy’s family’s drama, but on a much more limited scale. Still never fun.
  • We’ve been super busy seeing lots of friends and family, traveling distances near and far. Sometimes the weekend trips to far distances were back to back weekends, sometimes back to back days.

But at the end of the day, I think the boy and I have been positive and remember all of the great things that have also happened for us. We are incredibly blessed and we truly learned that this summer. Some great things that have happened or helped us get through the months…

  • We took Sebastian to the beach for the first (and last) time! He just hated it, but it was still fun to take a “family” trip.
  • He asked my parents for my hand in marriage.
  • We found a fantastic house to rent.
  • We moved in together.
  • I've had time for me.
  • We got even closer – and continue to learn so much about each other every day.
  • We’ve learned to say sorry – and to put arguments to rest just as quickly as they happen.
  • We’ve both lost weight and eat much healthier!
  • My family has been fantastic and so accepting of our relationship.
  • We have amazingly supportive friends – some with whom we’ve grown even closer to.
  • We have friends and family that love and care about us.
  • We’re still so in love - and we say it more than ever.
  • We laugh all the time.
  • We are happy.

So, when I think about the hard times we’ve had, I am so thankful for all the great things that have happened and how they have helped us grow – not only as partners in this relationship, but also as friends, lovers and even as individuals.

I can’t wait to see what the rest of our lives hold.

Love you, Tim (and sometimes more than Sebastian).

1 comment:

LouAnn Lamb said...

That was lovely. You two have always been a couple that I believed were a lifetime love match. Thanks for sharing and may God continue to bless you both with joy through the good times and patience and compassion through the bad. (Less of the latter and abundance of the former!)