Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our friendly neighbors

Since moving in together, I've done a good job of getting to know some of the neighbors. During our first week at the house, I ran into a huddle of women while walking Sebastian. They, too, were taking their dogs out. We immediately became friendly and I got to learn more about the neighborhood and the folks who lived around me.

When referring to our neighbors, I also mean to include the wonderful wildlife that lives on Main Street. So far, we've only met squirrels and birds, but that's enough for me. On our second day of living in the house, we noticed a birds nests on our porch. We didn't know if it was occupied or not, but our question was answered just a few days later when I found this on our porch!

Yes, that is a bird's egg. Was this a sign that our bird did not like us disturbing her home? It gets better!

The next day, I found this on our porch ledge!


Maybe she hated us? I immediately went out that evening and bought a feeder as a sign of neighborly love.

Maybe we're obsessive or maybe we're just bored, but we've been monitoring our neighbors since, and it looks like they have a new little family! And our relationship has gotten better. She doesn't run away like crazy if we step out on the porch anymore. We've even been able to take photos of her and her babies. And when I say her, I mean Minerva. Minerva even has a lover, Earl, who we've seen on occasion as well. More photos below!

Minerva

Minerva's Babies

The babies

Minerva and Earl

Earl

Another of Earl

Minerva

No comments: