Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More gallbladder update

I have the best family and friends in the world. The boy is starting work again this week, so my family has volunteered for me to stay with them post-surgery... whenever that will be. I was also supposed to have a girl's night on Wednesday and they're trying to figure out a place that would serve bland food so I could join them. Probably not going to happen, but super sweet of them! Sigh, amazing how much can change in so little time. So far, all I've eaten is a boiled chicken breast, rice and plain toast. Sounds delish right?

So last night before bed, I started thinking - what can I actually eat? After much digging, I finally found a list. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a list. Everyone just says, low calorie, low fat, no acidity, etc. etc. OK, I got that. But can I eat mashed potatoes? Corn? Apples? "Avoid anything that tastes good" is just too broad for me. Here is a much better rule of thumb: stick to a clear liquid diet - or I can pretty much eat anything I can see through. LOL. Here are some specifics...
  • Water
  • Broth
  • Jell-O
  • Fruit Juice without pulp (apple, grace and cranberry juice)
  • Clear soda (probably going to avoid anyway)
  • Popsicles
  • Soup (avoid creamy soups)
  • Mashed potatoes (use broth instead of butter)
  • Toast
  • Rice
  • Applesauce
  • Oatmeal
  • Grilled or boiled chicken
Just a few more weeks to go of this...

I swear Sebastian is avoiding me like the plague. You know, they say dogs can sense when their owners are not feeling well. Don't they usually try to be there for their owner? Not Sebastian! He has truly avoided me - sleeping in any room but mine, or even coming near me, even when I have food! It probably doesn't help that the boy is acting similar. He says he's just giving me time and space to rest, sleep, etc. I just want to feel loved and cared for! Come give me a kiss on the cheek every now or then, or come in and check on me when I'm passed out! LOL. OK, now I am just complaining. The boy has been amazing. He has been cleaning, walking the dog and doing just about everything I would normally be doing. He even planted more grass so that hopefully in a few weeks when I am feeling better, I can walk outside bare feet! All he asks is that I take my meds, get sleep and eat well. He will take care of the rest. So amazing. Love him - for better, for worse, in sickness and in health.

I finally booked an appointment with a surgeon for this Friday. I will most likely schedule the surgery then. Not looking forward to those costs, especially since I don't have health insurance. Sigh. Hopefully, my paperwork to the hospital reflecting my last few months of pay will look pitiful enough that I get some financial assistance! :(

Guess it's time to take the dog out. I've complained enough today! :)

No comments: