Monday, July 11, 2011

Grocery shopping

When did it become July 11? Where has this year gone? Sigh.

I'm thinking of what I'm going to try to cook this evening. Just because I can't eat it anything good, doesn't mean I can't cook it. And I love to cook. Maybe I'll try a Tyler Florence crab cake recipe I saw in this month's issue of House Beautiful. Or, to show the boy that I do go back and look through old magazines (he thinks I'm a magazine hoarder), maybe I'll try a recipe for cheddar chicken from the May 2010 issue of Real Simple.

This is why he doesn't grocery shop - and I do! He just doesn't think about food when he goes to the store, unless he's hungry THAT moment (and even then sometimes, he doesn't think about it. He'd rather go to Cook-Out). He thinks about things he needs on a daily basis, like deodorant and toothpaste.

Before he left for work today, I asked him if he needed anything at the grocery store. I brought it up because I had ONE slice of toast for breakfast this morning because we were out.

"Oh yeah, we need that. And I want the thin slices like we had before," the boy says.

"Do you want me to make tea for you, or do you just want soda this week?" I ask.

"I like tea."

"OK, I'll add sugar to the list of items to buy," I say.

"Oh, and I guess I want sandwich meat since you're buying bread," he says.

"OK, do you want cheese or any thing like horseradish for your sandwiches?"

"Uh... I'm OK."

"SEE - that's how you build a grocery list!" I yell, as I'm writing down the start of a grocery list. (Because, you see, the boy doesn't believe in shopping lists like me.)

Sigh, well - off to my "womanly" duties!

No comments: