Thursday, July 14, 2011

Operation Kitchen Re-organization

Last weekend, while putting the dishes away, I found myself frustrated at how I was stacking up things I used every day, like baking trays and cooking bowls. While our kitchen is big, there also is not a lot of storage space and what we have is full. That is why I put reorganizing the kitchen on my list of to-dos.

At my last apartment, I bought a wire corner shelf to help organize some of my spices. I figured they made regular storage shelves as well. After checking out Walmart, Sears, IKEA and Target online, I found that these wire shelves are called either stacking shelves or helping shelves. Who knew you had to be so specific to get estimated pricing?! I took measures of our storage space – about 18”x18” for the bottom and 18”x10” for the upper cabinets, and embarked on a little shopping adventure to get in-store pricing before I splurged.

The conclusion of my great afternoon adventures:

  • Dollar Store carries these racks, but they don’t feel study. I did buy one 3-tier spice rack (since our space was small and spices are usually light) and one simple shelf for initial testing.
  • I bought two medium size shelves (about 15”x5”) for $5.74 each on Walmart because I surely thought this would be the cheapest I could find them based on my previous online search.
  • On the way home, I dropped by Target where they had the same sized shelves for less than $5. I kind of kicked myself on that one because Walmart is usually less expensive!
  • The best place to get these is actually Big Lots! I dropped in just to have a quick peek and found a large shelf – about 15”x12” – for just $5! The medium ones, I believe, were $3.50. Another bonus was that I found lid/tray organizers for just $3.20!

Equipped with my new purchases, I took on the task. See below the before and after pictures. What a difference something so small can have! I feel like we’ve made better use of the space and if I need more space in the near future, I know what to do!

Top Cabinets - Before

Top Cabinets - After
I used the stacking shelves to make two shelves within one. Love it!

Bottom Cabinets - Before
Look at this HOT MESS, especially where I keep the tupperwear and other plastics.

Bottom Cabinets - After
I love that I was able to now put my food processor in here!
Love that I could use my lid organizer for my baking trays here!

Spice Cabinet - Before
Spice Cabinet - After


No comments: