Thursday, September 22, 2011

A formal dining room or a good reading room?

Just in the last few weeks, I’ve started to realize that I dislike how big our dining room table is. We had six people at our dining room table for dinner a few weeks ago, and I thought it felt crowded in the space. We currently have it cornered in our fairly large kitchen. There is space in our house for a formal dining room, but we currently have it set up as a reading room/den. We also have an extra bedroom that we are using as a junk room/office/Sebastian’s bedroom.

So, I brought up the question last night to the boy about moving things around. My idea was to move our reading room into the extra room and use our formal dining room space as, well, a formal dining room.

Some cons to this:
-Whenever we have guests over, this is the favorite place to hang out.
-We would be moving a TON of furniture – bookshelves, couches and chairs. Not tomention, the dining room table has to be taken a part to be moved.
-In addition to the furniture, we’ll be moving a lot of books and all of our DVDs.
-We will have to go to the backroom to enjoy those items now.
-We will also probably have to buy a small breakfast table for the kitchen. I need the space when -I’m baking and sometimes even cooking.

Some pros to this:
-Our junk/office/Sebastian room would be more organized and clean!
-People won’t feel crowded when they come over for dinner. And we can have nicer dinner parties!
-Two more fun rooms to decorate!
-We would also need to get a computer desk… eventually.
-I can put my bookshelf for all of my serve ware in the dining room as well. It would be more appropriate here now – and easy to access!
-If I want somewhere to read, this room would really feel and be isolated from the rest of the house.


Decisions, decisions!

No comments: