Friday, September 23, 2011

South 21

I’m already marking things off my to-do before the end of the year list. This week, the boy and I went tried a new restaurant – which will count for September. We went to South 21, a (very) local restaurant located at 6932 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC. I knew that this to-do would be kind of easy to do.

Potential obstacles for not completing this to-do were:
-Wanting to go to favorite restaurants I haven’t been to in a while,
-Risk of trying something I’ve never tried,
-Not be able to find time,
-The boy having an issue with the restaurant – the food, price, location, etc.

We both were working until 5 p.m. in the University area Tuesday, so we decided to try out a (very) local restaurant, South 21. For you Kannapolis folks, this is the Charlotte equivalent to the What-A-Burger. It’s been open since 1955 and is literally, a hole in the wall. If you’re not looking, you will miss the small white building located off Hwy. 49/North Tryon. We nearly did.


Anyway, the boy wanted to try it because one of his students had given a speech on it. I swear, if he is not saying, “I heard on NPR,” he is saying, “A student gave a speech about…”

I don’t know if it quite compares to What-A-Burger, although I “must not be from Kannapolis,” because I don’t exactly love that restaurant either. But South 21 was just your typical hole-in-the-wall burger joint. It was cute and quaint. The people were super nice though, which always makes a meal more enjoyable. Maybe we went too early, but we were the only people there at 5 p.m. Something must be said about it though, because it is a local chain. There used to be several of them, but now I think there are just two left.

Give it a shot if you’re looking for something cheap, fast and local!

No comments: